THATCamp is almost here! Key info:
- RSVPs: Please write thatcampphilly (at) gmail.com if you have registered but discover you can’t make it. If you forgot to register, but would still like to come, we do still have room. Email us ASAP.
- Time: Our day starts at 8:30 a.m. on both Friday and Saturday. On both days it’s important that you show up at the Chemical Heritage Foundation on time so that we can orient everyone properly and stay on schedule. Friday’s BootCamp workshops end at 4PM, while Saturday’s unconference ends at 5PM. On Saturday you must be present between 8:30AM and 9:15AM to cast your votes for the sessions we’ll incorporate into our schedule.
- Food: Coffee and other beverages will be available all day, both days, but there will be no breakfast or snacks, so prepare accordingly. A nice box lunch will be provided to BootCampers Friday during our Lunch Jam. A vegetarian option will be available, but we haven’t been able to accommodate other dietary restrictions. On Saturday we have a long lunch break to give everyone a chance to get out and about and recharge while getting acquainted. There are plenty of dining options nearby, as you can see from our Location page and its handy Google Map of restaurants. Don’t forget to check out your fellow campers’ choices for “Philly’s Best Kept Secrets”!
- Electricity and Wi-Fi: Outlets for charging laptops and other devices are available but we’ll be sharing them, so get charged up before you come. Everyone will be able to access the CHF’s wireless network, but keep in mind we’ll be sharing that, too. Save high-bandwidth activities for off-site.
- Ideas: We can’t have too many. Keep posting your session ideas to our blog, and bring more of them with you. New proposals can be accepted through early Saturday morning. Of course we won’t be able to do everything in one day, but the more people who contribute options, the better our day will be.
- Swag: We have a couple of goodies for you but are not giving out bags full of junk, so you’ll need to bring your own tote bag.
- Bring an umbrella, and come prepared to have fun–we can’t wait to see you.
Just wanted to say for those of you who are interested there’s a great Meetup group called Philly Museums and Technology. I am a member (you don’t have to be a Museum) and for those of you wanting to keep a network going after this event consider joining 🙂
Looking forward to the conference!
Historical Society of PA
THATCamp Philly is nearly upon us, and there is a lot to do to prepare. If you’re coming, here’s how you can do your part:
- Please write to thatcampphilly@gmail if it turns out you can’t be with us at the Chemical Heritage Foundation on 9/23 and/or 9/24. We’ll want to make any unneeded spaces available to other potential campers.
- If you’ve registered and have been accepted, look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with instructions on logging in to this site. If you didn’t receive this email, check your spam folder.
- Update your profile—we’re posting everyone’s bios on the THATCamp Philly Campers page so you can just copy and paste that part.
- Think about your top-priority topics for discussion, problems that you’d like the power of a group mind to sort through…then post about it! (Please TAG your posts to make it easier for everyone to navigate topic ideas. There’s a tag cloud in the navigation at right.) We need as many good session ideas as possible in order to be able to plan our schedule on the day. If you’d like general guidelines, see here:
After you do all this, get ready–we can’t wait to see you!
THATCamp Philly is being held on September 23 to 24, 2011 in downtown Philadelphia at the Chemical Heritage Foundation Conference Center. This intensive, innovative, participatory one or two-day event will include one day of technical workshops (Friday, September 23) and one day of interactive sessions (Saturday, September 24).
Registration for the event has now closed. If you wish to be added to the waitlist, email thatcampphilly (at) gmail and ask for instructions.
Want to keep up with what campers are talking about during the unconference? Check out the campers Twitter list.
THATCamp Philly will be held September 23rd and 24th, 2011
Friday 9/23 will be a day of workshops.
Saturday, 9/24 will be the “unconference.”
Sign up to stay in touch and/or let us know you want to help organize:
THATCamp Philly is a user-generated unconference inspired by the Center for History and New Media (CHNM) at George Mason University. It’s being organized by folks from Penn, Temple, American Philosophical Society, Drexel, Azavea, Historical Society of PA, Villanova, Library Company of Phila, Bryn Mawr, and others. We’re hoping to look far and wide for all manners of tech and humanities interpretation.
Read more about other THATCamps at http://thatcamp.org/